Thursday, April 3, 2008

in the HEAT of battle

Tomorrow marks the end of three weeks of treatment. We will have completed 18 radiation treatments and will have 17 more to go. On Monday, Aaron will have his second (and final) chemo treatment. The purpose of the chemo is to intensify the effectiveness of the radiation. As predicted the side effects of the treatments are severe. Aaron now has great difficulty swallowing. Talking is very painful, as well. At present, he can "get down" a little baby food, Ensure, milk, water, or unsweet tea and this only AFTER he has taken pain medication. We know that next week, the "burn" will be taken to the next level because of the chemo, so it is somewhat overwhelming!! ( I realize this may be 'tmi', but if you are reading this, I figure you must want to know.) It really is daunting and discouraging to think about what he must endure to get to the "other side". All this to say, please keep praying! Pray for ability to get and keep nourishment down. Pray for his spirits to be lifted. Pray for peace and rest. Pray for right medicines to manage pain without causing other(stomach) issues. Pray for doctors to have wisdom in dealing with his particular case. Pray for me to be patient and sensitive to his needs. Pray for our children as they also watch and wait on their Dad. Pray that we would continue to trust God, draw near to Him, and proclaim His goodness and faithfulness. Also, please pray for Max and Bonnie Thornhill, my parents. My Dad was treated for prostate cancer last year. He will undergo biopsies and testing next week for possible cancer in other areas. Needless to say,we covet your prayers for that situation, as well. Thanks.

13 comments:

Jessica said...

Praying for you guys!!!
We love you!

Anonymous said...

Your family is in our prayers! If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call on us. Aaron, when these treatments are over and you feel better, don't forget you and Jack have a motorcycle ride planned!

Jan Brim

Anonymous said...

Aaron, you and your entire family are in our prayers every day and will remain there throughout your treatment. I know of no stronger medicine than God's grace and love. Don't be discouraged by the length of the course of treatment. Just one foot ahead of the other will get you to the goal.

Ed Moody II

Anonymous said...

Aaron, Debbie and family,

Ricky and I are praying for you guys! I cannot imagine the pain you must be in. But I pray for peace and grace. God's grace is sufficient. I've learned day by day is all we can do to get by sometimes. And that's okay.

Ricky and Donna Gallahar

Anonymous said...

it isnt too much info at all. so glad you update so i can pray specifically. interceding on your behalf. love yall

Anonymous said...

Aaron & Debbie,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you both patience and strength through this ordeal and look forward to when you are able to visit us.

V-

Aimee said...

We love you and are praying without ceasing.

Anonymous said...

We're still praying and recruiting more friends and family to pray too. Hang in there Aaron.

Ed Moody II

miki said...

Aaron,
The progress on the church is improving daily. I never drive past the church that I don't say a prayer for you as I am driving out. Your vision has given us a great gift at McClellan and I can not wait for the first service in the renovated building. I hope to be there with you!
Miki Schneider
McClellan

Anonymous said...

C.S. Lewis in "The Problem of Pain" says, "God whispers to us in our pleasure, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts to us in our pains; it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world." I know God is shouting out and reaching many, many people as they witness the grace of God evident in your family as you face this incredible challenge. Somehow I hope you can take comfort in knowing that you're sharing in the sufferings of Christ, and for His glory. Our family keeps you continually lifted up in prayer.
Suzan Freeman

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

My family and friends are still praying for your complete cure and recovery as well as for your entire family. We anxiously await more news whenever it is feasible for you and your family to post it. I was thinking of you as I woke up this morning..... what news would help you stay focussed and in the battle? I can tell you that yesterday my father and I got back to work on the airplane we are building and expect to fly in by the end of this year. I know that this "mudhole in your road" is deeper, softer, and longer than mine was, but the point is that there is an end to the battle and standing on the solid ground on the other side is worth the effort and the patience. Keep fighting,

Ed Moody II

Barb said...

Continually praying for you all. I love you tons!

Anonymous said...

Hey...I'm leavin this anonomous, but i just wanted you to know I think about you guys a lot. I pray for you just about every night. My family has just had a crisis too, but its better now. Everything will be better for you too. You're a fighter Mr. Acker. I know that :) Things will get easier...for all of us. I know. How? I just do.
Yup.