Friday, March 7, 2008

Our Plan is in Place

We spent all day at UAB yesterday for more tests and consultations with the doctor and coordinators. It was productive and long (with over 5 tests and two meetings), and a mixed bag of information. I am in the C225 Clinical Study (for the adjunct targetted therapy of an additional drug), but did not get randomly selected to receive the drug. We can only trust that God did not have that in His plans for me, and He may be saving me from unknown negative impacts. The good thing is that being in the study gives us a personal study coordinator to help us through the whole process, and much more monitoring and testing along the way.
Dr. Meredith also told me that she had determined that the tumor is longer down the throat than it appeared before (I am a Stage 3), but that may be another confirmation on Gods' grace in redirecting us from surgery. She also said she thought the cancer cells in the center of the swollen lymph node were dead, and again reconfirmed that she did not see any evidence of cancer in any other lymph nodes. Praise God for that! (I will still get enough radiation to them for any micorscopic cancer present.)
I am also enrolled in the Swallowing Clinic, which is another beneficial service offered for their throat patients.
And they told me that they simply cannot get everything checked and ready for treatments to start next week. But March 17 is a sure start date. I will have my first chemo and first radiation treatment that day, and they will continue for 7 weeks.
I am still learning to totally trust God in all the details, as things change and information is always either an up or down. I simply must learn to stay fixed upon God and trust His providence and control of every detail and turn. It is becoming more and more experientially clear that this is going to be a marathon and not a dash.
I am preaching at my church this Sunday, and intend to cover some of the truths that have been such a strength and comfort in these times. Pray that I will be clear and true to God's Word, as this is always a sacred and serious trust and responsibility. This may a little more challenging than normal with my voice weakened and my emotions sensitive.
Again, we cannot begin to thank you enough for your constant prayers and kindnesses. We are constantly being touched and encouraged by God's love through you!

"Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it to glory." William Barclay

3 comments:

Tommy said...

"A man convinced, against his will
Is of the same opinion still."

Guess who is sending this to you?

Remembering you in my thoughts and prayers....

Newgene Ledbetter

Mimi said...

You must have conflicting emotions with treatments about to begin...excited that you're finally going to start radiation?? I know God has done so much in you and Debbie during this "waiting period" and we know His timing is perfect and He has all things well in His beautiful nail scarred hand. These words may seem trite as I have not walked your path, but I want to encourage you to continue to walk by faith and not by sight, keeping your eyes fixed on Jesus, who is the same yesterday, TODAY and forever and nothing is impossible with Him. You are being kept before God's throne of mercy and grace and I know the great I AM is moving on your behalf. I love you dearly, brother.

Holly said...

You are in our prayers. May God's hand continue to guide you and your family.

Jay, Holly, Emma, and Ella Knowlton